In Memory Of Jerry M. Shriver

A Lonely Outpost, Indicative Of The Mountainous Terrain And
Jungle Warfare "Over The Fence" Where The Special Forces Operated.
Often, The Jumping Off Place For The Troops And The Point Of No Return!
Unless You Were Very, VERY Careful!!!!

Jerry M. Shriver
Kontum, VN
FOB #2

photo: (c) Khomer "Chief" Beaty
This is a write-up on Jerry M. Shriver and others killed in action in either Laos or Cambodia.

"Mad Dog," as he was aptly called in the SOG (Special Forces) group at FOB#2 Kontum, VN. It seemed to me, that every time one of these teams got into a perdicamint we were on call.

I grew rather close to "Mad Dog" during my tour with the 170th AHC Bikinis in 1967.

He was a peculiar person.

My children have heard many tales of my crew inserting and extracting Jerry's team of Special Forces.

Upon my return to VN in 1969, I heard that Jerry was dead and the NVA had decapitated him to show proof that he would not bother them anymore.

The following is from:


SHRIVER, JERRY MICHAELName: Jerry Michael "Mad Dog" Shriver

Rank/Branch: E7/US Army Special Forces

Unit: CCS - MACV-SOG, 5th Special Forces

Date of Birth: 24 September 1941 (De Funiak Springs FL)

Home City of Record: Sacramento CA

Date of Loss: 24 April 1969

Country of Loss: Cambodia (some older records say Laos)

Loss Coordinates: 165048N 1063158E (XT441913)

Status (in 1973):

Missing In Action

Category: 4

Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground

Refno: 1431

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews.

Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 1998.

Other Personnel in Incident: (none missing)


SYNOPSIS: SFC Jerry M. "Mad Dog" Shriver was a legendary Green Beret. He was an exploitation platoon leader with Command and Control South, MACV-SOG (Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Studies and Observation Group). MACV-SOG was a joint service high command unconventional warfare task force engaged in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia. The 5th Special Forces channeled personnel into MACV-SOG (although it was not a Special Forces group) through Special Operations Augmentation (SOA), whichprovided their "cover" while under secret orders to MACV-SOG. The teams performed deep penetration missions of strategic reconnaissance andinterdiction which were called, depending on the time frame, "Shining Brass" or "Prairie Fire" missions.On the morning of April 24, 1969, Shriver's hatchet platoon was air-assaulted into Cambodia by four helicopters. Upon departing the helicopter,the team had begun moving toward its initial target point when it came under heavy volumes of enemy fire from several machine gun bunkers and entrenched enemy positions estimated to be at least a company-sized element. Shriver was last seen by the company commander, Capt. Paul D. Cahill, as Shriver was moving against the machine gun bunkers and entering a tree line on the southwest edge of the LZ with a trusted Montagnard striker. Capt.Cahill and Sgt. Ernest C. Jamison, the platoon medical aidman, took cover in a bomb crater. Cahill continued radio contact with Shriver for four hours until his transmission was broken and Shriver was not heard from again. It was known that Shriver had been wounded 3 or 4 times. An enemy soldier was later seen picking up a weapon which appeared to be the same type carried by Shriver. Jamison left the crater to retrieve one of the wounded Montagnards who had fallen in the charge. The medic reached the soldier, but was almost torn apart by concentrated machine gun fire. At that moment Cahill was wounded in the right eye, which resulted in his total blindness for the next 30 minutes. The platoon radioman, Y-Sum Nie, desperately radioed for immediate extraction. Maj. Benjamin T. Kapp, Jr. was in the command helicopter and could see the platoon pinned down across the broken ground and rims of bomb craters. North Vietnamese machine guns were firing into the bodies in front of their positions and covering the open ground with grazing fire. The assistant platoon leader, 1Lt. Gregory M. Harrigan, reported within minutes that half the platoon was killed or wounded. Harrigan himself was killed 45 minutes later. Helicopter gunships and A1E aircraft bombed and rocketed the NVA defenses. The heavy ground fire peppered the aircraft in return, wounding one door gunner during low-level strafing. Several attempts to lift out survivors had to be aborted. Ten airstrikes and 1,500 rockets had been placed in the area in attempts to make a safe extraction possible. 1Lt. Walter L. Marcantel, the third in command, called for napalm only ten yards from his front line, and both he and his nine remaining commandos were burned by splashingnapalm. After seven hours of contact, three helicopters dashed in and pulled out 15 wounded troops. As the aircraft lifted off, several crewmen saw movement in a bomb crater. A fourth helicopter set down, and Lt. Daniel Hall twice raced over to the bomb crater. On the first trip he recovered the badly wounded radio operator, and on the second trip he dragged Harrigan's body back to the helicopter. The aircraft was being buffeted by shellfire and took off immediately afterwards. No further MACV-SOG insertions were made into the NVA stronghold. Jamison was declared dead and Shriver Missing in Action. On June 12, 1970, a search and recovery element from a graves registration unit recovered human remains that were later identified as Sgt. Jamison, but no trace was found of Shriver. For every insertion like Shriver's that were detected and stopped, dozens of other commando teams safely slipped past NVA lines to strike a wide range of targets and collect vital information. The number of MACV-SOG missionsconducted with Special Forces reconnaissance teams into Laos and Cambodia was 452 in 1969. It was the most sustained American campaign of raiding, sabotage and intelligence-gathering waged on foreign soil in U.S. military history. MACV-SOG's teams earned a global reputation as one of the most combat effective deep-penetration forces ever raised. The missions Shriver and others were assigned were exceedingly dangerous and of strategic importance. The men who were put into such situations knew the chances of their recovery if captured was slim to none. They quite naturally assumed that their freedom would come by the end of the war. For 591 Americans, freedom did come at the end of the war. For another 2500,however, freedom has never come. Since the war ended, nearly 10,000 reports relating to missing Americans in Southeast Asia have been received by the U.S., convincing many authorities that hundreds remain alive in captivity. Jerry Shriver's friends claim they heard on "Hanoi Hannah" that "Mad Dog" Shriver had been captured. They wonder if he is among the hundreds said to be alive today.

If so, what must he think of us?---------------------------------------------------------------
[smith2.94 07/31/94]Mark Smith 07/06/94NOTE: this report IS NOT repr[o]duced in its entirety.


1. Burt Small......Garwood was asked if Burt Small was his brother.....
2. Willie Stark was found at the crash site, when he was missing on the ground....DIA list him missing on a helicopter....
3. Russell Bott....indigenous reports on Bott are numerous and come from the same area as Stark.
4. Jerry Schriver ....Shriver remained on the radio for four hours after legend has it he was supposed to have died.....
5. Donald Carr .....Much was made of a picture provided to LTC RET Jack Bailey of the USAF. This photo was only a very small part of an overwhelming case for Carr's survival to this day....follow up conversations with Carr's Lao daughter.... show Carr very much alive. He has a wife and one child. He is also missing fingers from an accident with a rice mill...
6. Walter Moon....persistent intelligence on Walter Moon surfaces from time to time......although Bo Gritz was accused of fabricating intelligence on Moon, in all fairness, his intelligence was consistent with all other information. Though other prisoners related Moon's death, none actually witnessed it........reported alive as late as 1990....